Thursday, July 23, 2009

Stitches

Last night we were at church for just a matter of minutes before our night got busy. Alex dropped Lillie off in the gym for her class and as he was leaving he turned around to see her lying on the floor crying. She had been spinning holding hands with her friend Holly and then she slipped. He brought her to me and then our music pastor (also a nurse) looked at it and said we do need to go to the hospital where they will at least clean it. She was pretty tough thus far and really hadn't cried much, nor was there much blood.

At the hospital the nurse practitioner looked it over and said she was going to need a few stitches. I helped hold her during the numbing and during the stitches. But the nurses didn't numb her enough and she felt the first stitch and just sobbed. They had to give her more numbing medicine, but because of the initial stitch it was next to impossible to keep her still for anymore. It took a nurse wrapping her in a sheet and laying over her, me holding her and poor Alex holding her head to get the remaining two stitches in. She kept crying, "I want to go home, I want to go home, I am alright" the whole time. By the time it was all finished Alex was pale (the poor guy had to hold her head and see her eyes the whole time), the nurse practitioner was almost in tears and Lillie was a wreck. She did tell us on the way home that putting the band aid on it wasn't bad and didn't hurt. : ) Everyone at the hospital was great though and I could tell that it was not just breaking mom and dad's heart, but also the ladies' hearts that were working on her. She does get the stitches out in 7 days, so please keep us in prayer as I don't think it will necessarily hurt, but she had so much trauma getting them that I worry about how she will handle getting them out.

To make things even harder, my parents came by and got Gracie from hospital and Alex said she sobbed the whole time getting put in the car and driving away. My mom said she cried the whole way to our house for Daddy and would keep looking for him. Lillie does seem fine this morning also she is a bit sore.

Ironically Alex had to have 5 stitches in his chin at this ago too.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, poor Lillie! It is hard to watch them scared and in pain! Hope she is better soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry! That's the hardest thing in the world as a parent I think--watching your child in pain, or upset and knowing you can't do a thing to make it better at that moment. Scott had to have stitches near the corner of his eye last summer. It was so upsetting having them done, that I made Chris go alone to have them out. But, fortunately, that didn't upset him much at all. And they got milkshakes on the way home, so at the end of the day, that was all he cared about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awful! Poor little Lillie! I hope she is doing ok and that the removal is easy and painless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! I had no idea! Holly never said a word!!! Poor baby...I will be praying for her!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard Alex talking about someone falling as I walked past him but I had no idea it was little Lillie! Poor baby! And poor mom and dad. That sounds a little like what I went through when Jaelyn had to get them. She was younger but the nurse had to do the same thing with the sheet...man, those little kids can be strong. It was awful. I'm so sorry that you had to endure that.

    ReplyDelete